Thursday, August 5, 2010

Twisty Towels for two!

I'm a huge fan of the Turbie Twist towel. I have had some of these for years! Like over a decade, I bet! Well... the little elastic thingy has come off of two of them, so I decided to make a new one! While I was at it, I thought I'd also make one for my Mini Me! This was a SUPER DUPER quick little project so I thought I'd make a little tutorial for anyone who is interested. You can easily make two of these in 30 minutes!

I used my old Turbie and cut around it, but if you don't haveo one you could easily just guesstimate. I will go back and measure length and height and update this- totally didn't think to do that. Doh!

The purple towel on the left is the original towel. For this project you will need some Terry cloth (or an old towel you can cut up), scissors, and elastic.

I folded the fabric over and laid the Turbie on top, that way one cut will make my two pieces.


I cut it out, leaving a little bit of excess fabric for a seam allowance.


I folded over the bottom edge and sewed a quick hem (this will be on the inside).
Do this for both pieces, but be sure to fold over the second piece the right way.. or....

you will have to use your seam ripper and fix it! Oops! ;)


After your seams on the bottom edge are sewn, place the two pieces, RIGHT sides together. You will need to cut a small strip of 1/4" elastic (or elastic cord) and pin it, with the loop pointing INSIDE the towel. I'm not a pinner, but I did pin the elastic. If you are a pinner, you would probably pin up the three sides of the towel now. Pinning is overrated (and takes time..). I'm impatient!


Sew your three sides, being sure to leave the bottom where you hemmed it OPEN. When you get to the elastic, sew over it, backstitch, then over it again (if you are neurotic like me, do it once more). You will be pulling on this loop to secure the towel, so it's better to have too many stitches than not enough!


Since my seams were wonky and uneven I trimmed. You don't have to do this, and honestly I didn't need to.


This is the front of the towel (or the back, depending on how you wear it). Not sure if you can tell, but it is uneven. This bothers me, so I went back and sewed my seam a little wider to correct this.


Aahhh! Better! :)


DONE!

On to the Mini Me towel! I had enough fabric left from my first cut to make hers.

I guesstimated the size and didn't think the length was quite long enough for it to be able to "twist" and be able to be secured w/ the elastic. So, I added a little to the "tail" part.


I followed the same steps as above and here is the finished miniature version!

The Turbie Twist shows you to wear it with the elastic on the back of your head. I've always worn it backwards, I suppose, b/c I like it on top of my head. I will show you how to wear it either way.


My way. Put it on your head, tail to the back.


Wrap your hair in the towel and twist it upwards.


Secure it on top of your noggin in the elastic loop!


Viola! Done! (the "wrong" way!)

Here is the "other" way.


Tail to the front.


Twist.


Secure on the back of your noggin!

This sort of makes you want to charm snakes and blow on your flute, huh?


Here is Mini Me with her towel. She had JUST woken up and was way excited to see what I made her!


LOL!


She approves!!


Me and my BFF!! I LOVE her!!



I hope you enjoyed this! :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...